Deckbound Heroes is set in the world of Deistraa. In this multi-dimensional space of unknown possibilities, powerful users of alchgic fight one another to demonstrate their prowess and deity alignment.
When playing games of Deckbound Heroes you choose a deity and an aligned hero. Your choice of deity dictates what type of deck you can build (via the deity template) and limits your hero choice to those aligned with that deity.
The alchgemic arenas of Jordrale
Jordrale — a physical place in Deistraa — where battles of Deckbound Heroes are fought
We’ll be announcing more information about the first five alchgemic arenas over the course of the beta. We’re working on the first three at the moment – Dulfaet’s Landing (available now), Kraetan’s Refuge and Fogaiel’s Pit.
Concept art for Kraetan’s Refuge – the second arena to be launched in the beta
You’ll hear us talk about “maps” in the context of the game and “arenas” when we’re talking about the places in the world of Jordrale. Each arena may have multiple “map” configurations.
Inside the arena
In the arenas of Jordrale you’ll find:
- Plinths – part of the landscape – built to house alchgemic founts and the mounting place for deity platforms
- Alchgemic founts – the source of casting power – heroes harness this power to manipulate the arena to their advantage
- Deity platforms – a deity-specific platform and its totems are placed on top of the plinth for battle
- Structure totems – deities that support the use of structure cards will have corresponding structure totems on their platform
- Rune totems – powerful one-time-use spells available in some deity templates will have a corresponding rune totem on their deity platform
- Heroes – the chosen hero stands atop a deity platform ready to demonstrate their alchgemic mastery
- Outposts – imbued with alchgic, outposts are an important part of any battle in the world of Jordrale
In Deistraa’s 4th dimension there is a complex system of planes and spindles. In this dimension, abilities in Deckbound Heroes are grouped around the spindles of Hawren, Kobais, Fahrrd and Geead.
Abilities in Deckbound Heroes are grouped around 4 spindles
Abilities can interact with spindles — for example “Freeze a Spindle Fahrrd ability for 2 turns” — and so can hero traits, “Immune to first 4 points of damage from Spindle Kobais every round”.
Deities also have spindle associations. Later in the beta we’ll be sharing more about “spindled” templates — versions of deity templates that allow only abilities from a certain spindle and require specially augmented cards to play. Competing with spindled decks provides other meta game bonuses.